Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Change things up a little...

Last night after hitting a couple PR's in some rack deadlifts I wanted to do some type of squat exercise for the supplementary lift. I opted for front squats. I haven't done a front squat with a barbell, aside from demoing the lift to trainees with an unloaded bar, ever. Since I don't have a powerlifting meet on the horizon and since I just started focusing on stone lifting I decided to add the front squats into my program. An accomplished stone lifter recommended this exercise to me as it more closely resembles stone lifting with the load in front of the body and not on the upper back. My favorite front squat variation is with a pair of kettlebells racked at the chest, however you are limited to the total amount of weight you can lift. A barbell is necessary to increase strength on this lift. My best competition squats in powerlifting gear are 425 at 198lbs and 430 at 217lbs. Let's just say my first attempt at front squats humbled me beyond belief! I went 95lbs for 5 reps/2 sests, 115lbs for 3 reps/2 sets, 135lbs for 3 reps and 155 for 2 reps. Right now my goal is to get a single rep at 275lbs in the front squat and go from there. Just holding the bar on the front of the body is a challenge. You have to keep the torso erect and not lean forward at all. This is tough for me as I tend to lean forward when I back squat. Adding front squats into my routine can only make me stronger. I feel by training what is weak can only make me stronger all around. However, the ego has to get put away for a while as my training poundages will be significantly reduced. I think if more people subscribed to this methodology, they would see greater faster increases in strength. Work outside of your comfort zone and your favorite lifts for a while, I bet you will set new PR's in all your pet lifts as a result!

No comments: