Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Tis' the Season for Resolutions.

I had a great conversation with a journalist last night. A freelance writer from California contacted me as she is preparing to write an article for an Atlanta-based sports and fitness magazine. The article is on the "non-resolution" workout. The interview ended up turning into a great discussion on training, motivation, goal setting and making health and fitness a lifestyle choice rather than a resolution.

The one thing we decided was that resolution has such a negative quality about it. Think about it, resolutions for the new year have more to do with self-deprivation and making some type of sacrifice. Why do we constantly set ourselves up for failure? Think about this. You go through the year skipping workouts and eating poorly. By the time October rolls around and we're breaking out the Halloween candy you start making those promises (or rather excuses). We've all made them. "I'll get on track after the holidays because I know I can't eat well through Thanksgiving and Christmas. And New Years? Forget about it!" So we blow it an additional 2 months! All we've done is make excuses and put off dealing with our personal health and fitness 8 more weeks! You've already set yourself up to fail by making excuses!

Why not take a different approach. Don't make a resolution, rather set some goals.
  • Goal #1 - Instead of waiting until Jan 1st to start my program, I am going to start now.
  • Goal #2 - I haven't been in the gym in 10 years, so I am going to start slow and build myself up gradually.
  • Goal #3 - I will begin with three 15-30 minute strength training sessions focusing on bringing up my strength in 3 basic exercises.
  • Goal #4 - I will perform three 15-20 minute low-intensity cardiovascular exercise sessions per week in addition to my strength training sessions.
  • Goal #5 - I will start cleaning up my diet by cutting out refined and processed crap. I will enjoy the holidays with my family and enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.

There you have it. 5 simple goals that you should have started at the beginning of November that will, at the very least, do damage control through the holidays and have you ready to begin upping the intensity in the workouts and really cranking down on the nutrition plan come January 1st!

Don't be part of the weak-minded herd that shows up at the gym full of piss and vinegar ready to take on the world Jan 1st and ends up burning out only make the dreaded resolutions again next year. Start now, start small, set yourself up for success and if for some reason you get a little off track, just pick it back up with the next meal and the next workout! Good luck and I hope 2007 is your best year yet!

No comments: