Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Journey Into Stone Lifting

I saw a gentleman by the name of Steve Jeck speak at a strength coaching clinic last year. Steve is a pretty awesome guy. Was a thrower in track and field and competed in the Highland Games. Steve became interested in Clach Cuid Fir (manhood stones) and went on to tackle some of the most famous testing stones in the world including the Inver Stone in Scotland and Kviahellan, the Husafell Stone, in Iceland. If you are lucky enough to own Steve's videos or the book he co-authored with Peter Martin "Of Stones and Strength" then you know of his accomplishments and should have a good understanding of the history of stone lifting. If you aren't familiar with him, get over to www.ironmind.com and get familiar! Steve uses stone lifting as part of his presentation, presenting a lesson then a corresponding lift, for instance Steve speaks of the importance in using one's head in life as well as lifting - he then attaches a head harness to a 225lb stone and lifts the chunk of granite with his head!

Here is the beauty of lifting a stone - it is raw, simple power and strength at its best! As a competitive powerlifting I always hear arguments about squats not being deep enough, benches not being paused enough or a lifter's knees weren't locked out in the deadlift. This fed is TOO lenient, this fed is too strict, blah blah blah. I'm only a class 4 lifting and I am already sick of hearing it. I am not in danger of setting any world records and all I care about when I take the platform is getting personal records and supporting my fellow lifters. There is no debate in stone lifting - either you get the stone off the ground and pull it up to your waist or you don't. either you shoulder it or you don't. Simple as that!

I love the distinction Jeck makes between barbells and stones in his essay "The Choice" from Milo and his book: "The barbell is designed to be lifted... No, I'm in no way saying that lifting barbells is easy. The distinction I'd make is that barbells are heavy while stones are defiant." This is beautiful and yet very true. While my best deadlift is 463lbs, I found that pull to be MUCH easier than the first time I hoisted a 200lb stone to my chest!

While my strength levels are not where they need to be to try my hand at some of the famed testing stones resting "across the pond" in Scotland and Iceland - one day they will be. Fortunately I've been able to converse with some very accomplished stone lifters and I have been able to construct effective workouts to help me on my journey to lift these immortal stones. Stones that have been here long before you and I arrived on this earth and stones that will be here long after we're gone.

No comments: