Thursday, December 14, 2006

Why Do We Do It?

People often ask us why we do what we do. Why do we go to the extreme and not settle for moderation. To me moderation is synonymous with mediocrity. If you're a powerlifter it's all about your 3-lift total, if you're a kettlebell sport lifter it's about taking a pair of 32kg kettlebells for a ride overhead for 10 minutes straight, if you're a weightlifter it's about your 2-lift total, etc. That is what drives us to get better, to risk injury (both temporary or permanent) to excel at our given endeavor. Granted, for some it's about world records, trophies and titles and there is a point of diminishing returns.
I don't buy into the philosophy that says do ANYTHING to get stronger. I don't believe in performance enhancing drug use, and even as a powerlifter I think gear is getting carried away. I don't think it's necessarily right that a 400lb squatter can throw on a suit and wraps and squat 700lbs. Personally I would like to see gear a bit more controlled - maybe nothing more than single-ply poly gear across the board? If the powers that be outlawed gear alltogether I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep over the decision. I didn't get into powerlifting because of the gear. I use it, and abide by the rules of my federation, but would give it up in a second if the fed outlawed it. I would like to see the rules tightened up a bit too. Squats are all over the place - should they be? Is breaking parallel THAT hard to judge that we need new definitions like "convincingly legal depth"? C'mon folks, it's not rocket science! It's breaking parallel, that's all. I think the feds that allow high squats to pass are just as much to blame as the feds that give you red lights even when your calves and hamstrings are practically touching. Yes, humans make mistakes but some of this stuff is utterly ridiculous. Bench presses are all over the place. Some feds allow belly benching, some don't. Some require you to pause for a long time, some don't. Some give you a long press signal, some a quick one some give no press signal at all.
Now, I didn't intend for this post to be a rant on the rules of powerlifting, so let me save that for tomorrow's post! I just want to make it clear that I don't belive drug-use and powerlifting gear equals real strength. Gear is acceptable to me because it is for sport use and the feds allow it. If it wasn't legal then I would be opposed to it. However, I keep two sets of PR's in my logbook - 1. My meet lift PR's 2. My raw (real) PR's. All you gear junkies, don't jump down my throat - but I don't belive my gear numbers are what I'm capable of and I can admit that. Drug use is not acceptable to me period. It's cheating. I won't point fingers and condemn anyone, it's not my place. However if you use have the honor to lift in a fed that is untested, yeah, in a perfect world maybe.
Now, back to why we do what we do. I get this question all the time - why can't you just do things in moderation and train for health. Granted, I want to be healthy and want to lift into my twighlight years. However, I want to push myself to my limits and set and demolish my goals. We are living on borrowed time and our life span, in the big picture, is nothing more than a blink of an eye. I've got things to do while I'm here! Why do we do it? I've only been stone lifting for a few weeks now and already sport the bruised and raspberried forearms. The blood shot eyes that accompany a squat PR. The aching back the day after. Why do we do it? Unfortunately, sometimes the injuries are more extreme. Sometimes they require serious time off, surgery or worse yet, never lifting again. Why do we do it? Because we understand personal achievement and the exhileration that accompanies great accomplishments. Is it really living if we shelter ourselves from experience because of the possibility of injury? Is living in fear really living? I am not suggesting we jump into our chosen sports haphazardly. You have to be smart, train smart and use good judgement if you are to ever succeed and accomplish your goals. Life is meant to be lived, not vicariously through the accomplishments of others, but through your personal experiences. Whether you want to scale a sheer rock cliff, hoist a barbending weight overhead or jump out of an airplane at 10,000 feet above the ground, do it! Don't just imagine it. Don't just watch it on TV. Grab hold of the rock, barbell or parachute. Employ proper safety techniques and never work outside of your skill level, but always strive for betterment.
Don't become a cold, timid soul who sitting in a rocking chair in the latter stages of life looks back and says "I could have". Be the person who inspires younger generations to strive for greatness through the stories and legacy of your personal accomplishments, but most importantly do it because you want to, scratch that, because you KNOW you can do it!




No comments: